Thursday, July 11, 2013

Garlic Shrimp in Coconut Lime Tomato Sauce


I don't know if I've ever turned down any dish which included shrimp in its ingredients.  Add tomatoes and coconut milk and I KNOW I've never turned it down.  This is the type of entree I'll generally have everything on hand and it involves so little prep that you can make it for a meal which you're short on time or energy.

The original recipe I had was double what I'm posting and said it served 6.  Those would be 6 very large servings in my opinion.  What I've listed below is about half of what I first found, and it would generously serve 4.  I like my sauce a bit thicker so next time I will drain the tomatoes (the original recipe stated to use canned tomatoes, undrained).

GARLIC SHRIMP in COCONUT LIME TOMATO SAUCE (serves 4)

12-16 oz uncooked shrimp, size of your choice, peeeled and deveined
1/2 Tbsp EVOO
1/2 large red bell pepper, finely chopped
3 green onions, white and green parts thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped cilantro, reserving a few sprinkles for garnish
3 tsp garlic, finely minced
S&P to taste
1/4-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, drained or undrained, depending on how thin you like the sauce
1 can (13.5 oz) light coconut milk
1/2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
hot cooked basmati, jasmine, or long-grain rice for serving

In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil on medium and add the red peppers, cooking until crisp-tender, about 2-3 minutes.  Add the sliced green onions, both white and green parts, cilantro (save a bit for garnish), red pepper flakes (if using), and garlic.  Cook, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.

Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, and salt to taste.   Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes to help develop the flavors and reduce the sauce just slightly.

Add the shrimp and cook until the shrimp are pink and tender (3-6 minutes, depending on the size of the shrimp).

Stir in the lime juice.  Serve immediately with rice and garnish with remaining cilantro.  Use deep plates or shallow bowls for serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment