Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Food Find: Longon


Have you ever had a longon?  A friend introduced me to them last year and I am hooked!

This fruit originated in SE Asian.  Their name in (I believe) Chinese is "dragon eye" because the fruit resembles an eyeball.  It has a shell which you peel and then eat the soft fruit that surrounds the hard seed in the center.  The longon is very similar to the lychee.

The only place I have found these is at an Asian market here in Chattanooga (on the corner of Lee Highway & Shallowford, next to the Rain restaurant).  The owner tells me that while she can only get the lychees about one week out of the year, the longons are available pretty much year around.  She tells me they are being grown now in south Florida.

So if you have a good Asian market anywhere near you, see if they carrying either one of the wonderful fruits.  Not only delicious and addictive, these are just fun to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment