Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Smoked Chicken Pasta


Our local barbecue restaurant has a special they run about once a month.  I'd been wanting to try it for the longest time and finally went last week hoping I'd be able to duplicate it at home.

I can't say I duplicated it, more like embellished it.  It is so simple and really good and easy.  What follows isn't a recipe but simply suggestions.  There's was a very simple linguine with alfredo sauce with just a bit of tomatoes and mushrooms added.  But there was an underlying taste I couldn't put my finger on.  The waitress said the cook added some Italian Seasoning to the alfredo but I tasted something else.  I decided on smoked paprika.

Now here's the beauty....you can make your own alfredo or use your favorite jarred brand (Barilla now makes a lightened version very low in fat and calories...not a true fat-ladened version, but passable).  I was going to saute some mushrooms and then add in some tomatoes, but since I was grilling some zucchini and yellow squash, I decided to dice some of that into the saute as well.

In the meantime I cooked the pasta (I used linguine, 2 oz dried pasta was more than enough for one serving).  When it was close to al dente, I added the alfredo and some smoked chicken to the vegetables, and then stirred in a bit of the Italian Seasoning and smoked paprika (a little more than a bit for me).

I have enough of the sauce/chicken/vegetable sauce leftover for another meal.  All I'll need to do is add some cooked pasta and dinner is served.

SMOKED CHICKEN PASTA

2 oz pasta per serving, cooked
Alfredo sauce
Sauteed mushrooms
Fresh, diced tomatoes
Zucchini, diced (optional)
Yellow squash, diced (optional)
Italian Seasoning
Smoked Paprika

Saute mushrooms (and zucchini and squash, if using) and when just about done add tomatoes.  Stir in alfredo sauce.  Season with Italian Seasoning and smoked paprika.  Add cooked pasta.

Serve with grilled vegetables, Caesar salad, and/or garlic bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment