Friday, July 19, 2013

Summer Quinoa Salad


This is a wonderfully versatile dish to have on hand as a side dish or side salad.  It can be served warm or cold.  The first time I make a new recipe, I almost always follow it to a T.  I thought I had everything on hand but when I got home I realized I didn't have any zucchini, so I used the asparagus out of my garden.  I had some mushrooms and grape tomatoes that needed a home immediately, so I sauteed the mushrooms with the shallots and used the grape tomatoes instead of the sun-dried tomatoes.

And of course this dish has everything I love in a good recipe:  Taste, Texture, Nutrition.

SUMMER QUINOA SALAD (4-6 servings)

scant 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 cup quinoa
2 Tbsp EVOO
1 large shallot, chopped
3 tsp garlic, minced
pinch red pepper flakes
2 cups chopped kale
1 small zucchini, chopped
S&P
2 ears sweet corn kernels
1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, cut into strips
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 cup peas
1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
shaved or freshly-grated Parmesan cheese for topping

Bring scant cup broth to a boil in a small saucepan.  Add quinoa to broth, place a lid on top, turn heat down to medium-low, then cook until quinoa is tender and broth is absorbed, about 15 minutes.  Set aside.

Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat.  Add shallots then saute until tender, about 2 minutes.  Add garlic and red pepper flakes then saute for 30 more seconds, stirring constantly.  Turn heat up to medium-high then add kale and zucchini.  Season with S&P then saute for 2 minutes.  Add corn and sundried tomatoes then saute for another 2 minutes.

Add white wine then scrape up any brown bits from bottom of skillet with a wooden spoon.  When wine is nearly evaporated, add peas then stir to combine.  Add chicken broth and cooked quinoa and acook until broth is absorbed.

Remove skillet from heat and add basil; stir to combine.  Taste and season with S&P, to taste.  Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.

Recipe Source:  www.iowagirleats.com

No comments:

Post a Comment