Monday, October 25, 2010

Chili


Everyone has their favorite chili recipe. I have to admit, I haven't found the perfect recipe yet, although I've enjoyed every different one I've tried. This recipe came from the USA Cookbook by Sheila Lukins which I tweaked just a bit.
Cook 1/2 chopped onion, 1/2 chopped green pepper, and 1/2 chopped red pepper in olive oil or cooking spray until soft, about 10 minutes. Add 2-3 cloves minced garlic.
Crumble 1/2 pound Italian sausage (I used turkey) and 1 pound ground turkey (I used turkey breast) and cook until brown. Drain any fat.
Add 2 Tablespoons tomato paste, 2 teaspoon cocoa powder, 2 Tablespoon chili powder, 1 Tablespoon cumin, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed red peppers to taste and coursely-ground black pepper to taste. Stir to blend, cook a couple of minutes.
Add a 28-ounce car whole Italian plum tomatoes (crushed with your hands) and the juice. Add 1/4 dry red wind. Simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes. I add a bunch of chopped cilantro (1/4 to 1/2 cup). Cook about 5 more minutes. Stir in some chopped parsley and salt to taste.
I served the chili on jasmine rice, topped with chopped green onions, cheddar cheese, and sour cream. I'll use the leftovers to make Frito chili pies (put Fritos on the bottom, then add some chopped sweet onions and cheddar cheese, top with hot chili....yummmmm!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment