Monday, October 4, 2010

Vacation Photos


Jim at the entrance to Elvis' Graceland, Memphis, TN. You gotta go just to be able to say "What the heck was he thinking?!!!!!" (ok, he was just 22 years-old when the bought the place). And I remember in 1968 or '69 driving down Elvis Presley Boulevard with my parents on the way to visit my uncle in Aiken, SC, and seeing this gaudy "mansion" with with wrought-iron gates with musical notes. As a family, we just pointed and laughed. There was a line of people lined up outside the gates. By the time we got to Nashville, we saw on the news that Elvis was coming home that day and fans were lined up to see him. Although our family wasn't a fan of Elvis, we now have to concede that Elvis had a major impact on the music and culture of this country.
The interesting thing about the tour (for me) was to watch the tourists who were visiting. Even though we were there on a weekday (Friday), I didn't see one single American under the age of 40. It was primarily older Americans, and a BUNCH of Europeans. Jim and I pondered on how long the Graceland attraction would last once us old cootsters catch the Big Bus!

No comments:

Post a Comment