Tuesday, October 26, 2010

My Go-To Salmon Recipe


I try to serve salmon at least once a week, usually twice. Oftentimes, it's an Asian-inspired dish. I happened to run across this recipe on Lynn Rosetta Kasper's "Splendid Table" program on NPR. I used to listen to her program every week, but once we moved to Chattanooga, it's not available on the NPR station here (check www.splendidtable.org. to see if it's available in your area, or check what was on her latest program). Anyway....this recipe combines just about everything I love.....salmon, ONIONS! whole-grain mustard, fresh dill. It's another recipe you can pretty much make ahead and have on the table in minutes. I served it tonight with steamed broccoli and a baked red potato.
GRILLED SALMON ON ICED ONIONS WITH SWEET MUSTARD DILL SAUCE
(and I cut this recipe down to just serve two....this supposedly serves four, but I think some things might be excessive)
The Onions:
1 red onion, thinly sliced into rings
Ice water
Dill Mustard Sauce:
1 small garlic clove, minced
3 Tablespoons minced onion
1/4 white or cider vinegar, or to taste
2 Tablespoons sugar, or to taste
3 Tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup coarse-grain dark mustard
1/3 to 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
S&P to taste
The Salmon:
4 salmon steaks, about 1" thick (I cannot find steaks here....I have to use fillets)
Olive Oil
S&P
Place onion slices in a bowl. Cover with ice cubes, then cold water. Refrigerate for about an hour (little less or much more okay).
Make Dill Mustard Sauce. Mix all ingredients together.
Rub salmon with oil & S&P. We have an outdoor George Foreman grill. I preheat it at Number 4 for about 15 minutes. I grill it for a total of 15 minutes if it is at least 1" thick. Tonight, the fillet was about 3/4" thick, so I started it with skin-side down for about 8 minutes, turned it, then cooked for about 4 more minutes. PERFECTION.
Drain and dab dry the onions. Place on a platter. Spread about half of the sauce on the onions, top wtih grilled salmon. Spread the remainder of the dill sauce on top of the salmon.
I bought just over 1/2 pound of Coho Salmon and it was just right for the two of us (about 4 ounce serving, each). Again, I served this with steamed broccoli and a baked red potato.
Just right. My, it was so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment