Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Potato Leek Soup & Wheatberry Salad

Well, we finally broke 80 degrees here. I got a little antsy and had the urge to make soup. I ran across a new Potato Leek Soup recipe that I thought I'd give a shot. Now, initially I was a bit disappointed. But, as it sat, and as I continued to taste it, it kinda grew on me. I'm really anxious to try it tomorrow. I generally do a cream-based PLS, but this is a broth-based soup, with a bit of evaporated milk added at the very end.


What I was REALLY anxious to try was a new Wheatberry Salad recipe. I love whole grains. And wheatberry has got to be at the top of my list. I don't know if it's my age, or just advancing to new food dimensions, but texture is becoming as important to me as taste. I just LOVE the chewiness of wheatberries (try adding them to a batch of split pea soup....oh, yummmm!!!). I found this recipe in the last edition of "RELISH," a foodie magazine which comes each month in our local newspaper. It has an Asian-based dressing (sold!) and includes zucchini, spinach, apples, and red peppers. I was not disappointed!


POTATO LEEK SOUP (Crock Pot Recipe):


6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
2 leeks, washed, sliced, including white and green parts
1 cup chopped onion
1 carrot, sliced
1 stalk celery, sliced
4 cups chicken broth
chopped fresh parsley
minced fresh garlic (I like alot, I added 3-4 cloves)
2 Tablespoons butter
12 oz can evaporated milk
bacon (either cooked and crumbled, or I used Bacon Pieces in a jar, much less fat)
shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I used reduced-fat)
chopped chives (out of my herb garden, but you can use dried)

**** OOPS! Almost forgot.......add a dash of NUNU'S Cajun Seasoning or Joe's Hot Stuff to bump up the flavor abit, without too much heat!!!!!

Combine everything except last 4 ingredients in crockpot. Cook on low 7-9 hours or on high 3-4 hours. Stir in a an of evaporated milk the last 45 minutes. Serve hot topped with bacon, cheddar, and chives.

Probably makes about 6 full servings.


WHEATBERRY SALAD


12 ounces dried wheat berries
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
5-6 ounces baby spinach, roughly chopped
1 Granny Smith apple, unpeeled, cut into small bits
1-2 green onions, chopped
1/3 cup minced red onion


DRESSING:

2 minced garlic cloves
3 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
1 Tablespoon olive oil


Place wheatberries in a large bowl. Cover with water by about 2" and soak 2 hours. Drain well. Place wheatberries in a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and cook for about an hour, until somewhat chewy and tender. Drain and rinse.


Whisk dressing ingredients. Add other ingredients to wheatberries and toss with dressing. (I made the full recipe because I knew I would want to eat on it for days. You could easily half the recipe and have a couple of large side salads, and still have a bit of leftovers).

I served the soup and salad with my new favorite: Pepperidge Farms Artisan Whole Grain rolls, found in the freezer section next to bread dough.


***Gotta try a dash of NUNU's or JOE's on this one, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment