Monday, September 13, 2010

NFL Season Launch-MN vs NO


OK, so it's football season!!!!! Yippee!!! That means autumn and cooler weather! I am so HAPPY this long, hot, humid summer is over.
So......the first game of the year was on Thursday night and it was Minnesota vs. New Orleans. When deciding on dinner, I had to go with who Jim needed more points from for Fantasy Football and it just happened to be Minnesota. Now, we spent 6 years in Minnesota, not know as the culinary mecca of the country. We always got such a hoot out of their most famous meal, "Tater Tot Hotdish." For those of you not familiar, I swear I am not making this up. There are numerous renditions of "Hotdish" but we just always thought this was the funniest. SO, when I learned this was the first game of the season.....well, I had just been chompin' at the bit to spring this one on Jim. You must realize that Minnesota is the land of salt, pepper, and ketchup. These are real meat and potatoe kind of folks so it was really hard to come up with a side dish. I opted for a plain green salad (iceberg lettuce, of course) with tomato, onion, cucumbers, and RANCH dressing. The salad was a real stretch for pure Minnesotans, but I had to have something else!
This was a recipe I used to make at a restaurant I worked at in Minnesota. I made a very small version, just enough for the 2 of us and some leftovers for The Girls:
8 oz ground turkey breast (a true Minnesotan would use ground beef)
1 can green beans, drained
1 can cream of your choice soup
Cook the turkey or ground beef and stir in the soup and green beans. Top with tater tots. Cook at 350 for 1 hour, or until tots are nice and crispy. That it's!

No comments:

Post a Comment