Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Tuesday Night Dinner-Spinach Tarragon Quiche


I love fresh herbs. It's hard to say which is my favorite....guess it depends on what I'm cooking. One I don't use very often but I just love and savor every bit is tarragon. And what a difference it makes in this quiche! Oh this is so good. And it's great the next day to. It has everything I love, onions, mushrooms, spinach. Ymmmmmm! (The girls enjoyed it, too!)


SPINACH TARRAGON QUICHE

1 unbaked 9" pastry shell
8 oz cream cheese, softened (I used reduced-fat)
1 c half and half
1/2 c soft bread crums, lightly packed
1/4 c shredded Parmesan
2 eggs, lightly beaten or 1/2 Egg Beaters
3/4 to 1 pound fresh spinach, chopped
3 T butter
1 sweet onion, chopped
1/2 lb mushrooms, chopped
1 T fresh tarragon chopped (1 t dried)
3/4 salt (don't forget this, like I did! the quiche NEEDS it!)

Preheat oven to 400. Mash cream cheese w/a fork and gradually blend in half and half. Add bread cubes, Parmesan, and eggs. Beat with a wire whisk to break up bread pieces.

Melt the butter in large saute pan and cooking onions and mushrooms until soft. Stir in chopped spinach and tarragon until spinach wilts down. Remove from heat. Add warm vegetables to cream cheese mixture and pour into pastry shell. Bake on the lowest rack in 400 oven. Check at about 35-40 minutes (mine took about 45 minutes) when crust is browned and knife comes out clean. Let rest 10-15 minutes.

I served this with a spinach salad (red onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, bacon, and bacon vinaigrette dressing) and a whole grain roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment