Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Wednesday Dinner-Marno's Chicken Noodle Soup


I don't know why this photo came out kinda blotchy looking, I'll have to try another shot tomorrow at lunch. But..........
After being on vacation for a week, I was just beat when we got home. I pretty much slept the first two days we were back, then developed a bit of a sore throat, then just felt crummy for the next two days. I don't get sick so it was tough for me. I tried to keep up a strong front cooking each day, but by today, I knew nothing would help me except for this incredible chicken soup recipe I ran across probably 20 years ago.
I think I found the recipe in a Parade magazine (that insert in your Sunday paper). The note from the person who submitted the recipe reads "When this dear friend from Kalamazoo delivers her soup as a neighborly gift, it reminds us of the good, simple things in life. The light noodles in the rich broth with plenty of chicken. It's superb!"
And oh, is it! In my opinion, the stellar component of this soup in the broth. It has such a lucious, velvetly, incredible broth......well that alone is almost enough when you under the weather. But add in the moist tender chicken, wonderful fresh dill, and just-added green peas that still have a snap to them.....well, it is all I want when I'm not feeling well and often times when I'm feeling just fine.
MARNO'S CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
one 3 pound chicken
4 stalks celery with leaves
4 carrots, peeled
3 parsnips, peeled (I have used a couple of turnips instead a few times and it's just as good)
2 sweet onions, peeled and halved, studded with 4 whole cloves
3 cloves garlic, peeled
6 sprigs fresh dill
6 sprigs fresh parsley
S&P
Enough water to cover chicken
Home-made egg noodles (use any recipe)
1 1/2 c frozen green peas
1/4 c chopped fresh dill
2 T chopped parsley
Place chicken in large stock pot. Add celery, carrots, parsnips, onions, garlic, dill, parsley, S&P. Add water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for 2 hours.
Skim any foam that has formed on top of soup. Remove chicken from soup and cool. Remove skin and bones from chicken. Shread meat, cover and reserve.
Strain the soup, discard the vegetables and return liquid to pot. Add bouillion cube for stronger flavor and adjust seasonings. Bring to a boil, uncovered, for 10 minutes to intensify flavors.
Make noodles (I did a search for homemade noodle recipe.....I used one found on the Taste of Home website).
Before serving, bring chicken broth to a gentle boil. Add noodles and cook soup for 10 minutes or until noodles are tender. Gently stir in reserved chicken, 1 1/2 cups green peas, 1/4 c chopped fresh dill, 2 T chopped fresh parsley.
about 8 servings
This is a meal in itself, but you could add a green salad or just about any sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment