Monday, September 13, 2010

Amici's Meatballs

OK, I see from the last posting my choice of fonts is off again. Why can't I figure this out? ANYWHO......tonight's dinner was spaghetti and meatballs with Caesar salad and a whole grain baguette. You should know, we're not big beef eaters here. So if I get a recipe that calls for ground beef, I always substitute ground turkey breast (not ground turkey, but ground turkey breast). It's so low in fat that you would think the outcome would be dry and crumbly.

Not this one. These meatballs are so succulent and tasty! The original recipe came from another restaurant I worked at in Minnesota. I only changed the meat....the original called for ground beef and ground pork. But the biggest surprise is the secret ingredient. Now, I can count on one hand the foods I will not eat. And right at the top of the list is raisins. Can't stand 'em. They're like little dried up bugs in my opinion. But for some reason, raisins bring these meatballs to life. Holy smokes, are these great meatballs. And so lo-cal/lo-fat you just won't believe it! I hope you'll give this recipe a try.

AMICI'S MEATBALLS:

20 oz ground turkey breast
2 eggs (or 1/2 cup Egg Beaters)
1/2 c breadcrumbs
1 T fresh basil, chopped
1 T fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 c Parmesan cheese
2 large garlic cloves, minces (2-3 teaspoons)
Handful of raisins
1/2 c milk
S&P to taste

I roll the meatballs into balls weighing 50 grams and bake at 350 for 18 minutes. This makes 18 meatballs. And I always keep a jar of store-bought red sauce on hand and just punch it up with a few fresh herbs.

Served with Caesar salad (romaine chopped, tossed with your favorite bottled Caesar salad dressing, homemade croutons, Parmesan cheese, and coursely grated Black Pepper) and a baguette.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment