Friday, November 26, 2010

Scalloped Potatoes with Three Cheeses (no photo)

This is a dish that was demo-ed at Central Market when we lived in San Antonio (www.CentralMarket.com) and Jim and I both went nuts over it. It is a staple anytime we make a big dinner. The blue cheese just puts this one over the top. It is delicious!!!

Since it's usually just the two of us, I generally half this recipe and use an 8x8 glass dish to bake it. When I made it yesterday, I went ahead and baked it and the dressing at the same time, took out and covered while turkey roasted, then reheated as directed. I don't know if it was the size I made, or the reheating, but it was, sadly, a bit dry. Hopefully you can make this and serve it right away. If you are going to reheat, I would initially bake it less, maybe 1/2 hour each time instead of 45 minutes.

SCALLOPED POTATOES WITH THREE CHEESES

Yield: 12 servings (using a 9 x 13 dish) or half recipe using 8x8 dish

3/4 cup grated extra-sharp cheddar (4 oz)
3/4 cup blue cheese (4 oz) (I add a bit more!)
1/3 cup grated Parmesan (1 1/4 oz)

4 lbs Russets, peeled, cut into 1/4" thick rounds (I used a mandolin)
1 1/2 Tsps salt
1/2 tsp coarsely-ground black pepper
1/4 very finely minced onion
3 Tbsp flour
4 Tbsp butter
3 cups milk (recipe calls for whole, but I've used skim with fine results)

Preheat oven to 400. Lightly butter 13x9 glass baking dish (I used cooking spray). Mix cheeses in a small bowl.

Arrange half of the potatoes in prepared dish, overlapping slightly. Sprinkle with 3/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Sprinkle onion over, then flour. Dot with 2 Tbsp butter. Sprinkle half of the cheese mixture over. Top with remaining potatoes, 3/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, and 2 Tbsp butter. Reserve remaining cheeses.

Bring milk to simmer in medium saucepan (I microwave on half power) until warm. Pour milk over potatoes (milk will not completely cover). Cover tightly with foil, bake 45 minutes. Remove foil (liquids will probably look somewhat curdled); sprinkle potatoes with reserved cheeses. Bake uncovered until potatoes are tender and cheese is a deep golden brown, about 45 minutes longer. (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Cover and rewarm in 375 degree oven about 20 minutes). Remove from oven and let stand 15 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment