Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Seafood Marinade


When Jim and I first got married, we lived in Beaumont, Texas, just off the Gulf Coast. While living there, I found the BEST seafood shop ever called "Seafood Lovers." I can't remember if they had their own boats or not, but each day they went down to the Gulf and brought the fresh catch of the day back to the store. They sold a few other things including a marinade I bought just about every time I went in. And I went in alot! Several times a week. Our favorite catch was always the red snapper and this marinade just made it sing! When we found out we were going to be moving to San Antonio, I went in and talked with the owner and asked about the marinade. He knew I had bought gallons of it from them and when I promised I would never give anyone the recipe, he graciously chose to share it with me.
And I never have revealed his recipe. But, several years later I ran across a recipe in a Taste of Home magazine that is so close I don't you could ever tell the difference. So while this recipe is not the original, I don't think even the "Seafood Lovers" guys would ever know.
As I said, we almost always picked the snapper. But I'll be darned if I can find any in Chattanooga since we've been here. So I thought I'd give some frozen Orange Roughy I picked up at Publix yesterday. Oh, we'll be doing this again! This fish came out perfectly. It was so moist it just flaked.
You don't need to marinade a mild fish like this for long, maybe half an hour. And I cooked it on the George Foreman grill on #4 for 3 minutes on each side (the fish was 1/2" thick in the center). I'm telling you, this just melts in your mouth. It was absolutely delicious. I served it with steamed broccoli and a baked potato.
This marinade recipe makes about 2 cups and will keep for months in the frig. I probably only used about 1/4, maybe a 1/3 cup of marinade for two 6 ounce filets. We've only used it on seafood because that's our favorite, but could work on chicken quite well, and beef, too.
ALL SEASONS MARINADE
3/4 cup canola oil
1/3 cup soy sauce
3 Tbs vinegar (I used white distilled)
2 Tbs Worcestershire
1 Tbs dry mustard
1 tsp minced, fresh parsley
2 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp kosher salt or 1/2 tsp table salt
2 garlic cloves, minced, about 1 tsp
2 Tbs lemon juice
1/4 cup dry white wine
Whisk together and store in airtight container (I use Lock&Lock products.....SO worth the investment.....these are the best containers!!!!).

No comments:

Post a Comment