Monday, November 8, 2010

TARRAGON CHICKEN

I was looking through my library of cookbooks (200+) thinking I need to use these guys every once in a while! I pulled out a Sara Moulton ("Cooks at Home") book and picked up this chicken recipe.

When it comes to herbs, it's so hard to pick a favorite. It just depends on what I'm cooking. Each one has such a special place in my palate. Oh, but tarragon just tugs at my heart! So when I saw a recipe for "Tarragon Chicken" I knew I had to give it a try. And it was just wonderful. Now, Sara's recipe called for dried tarragon but given that I have a flower-bed full of fresh tarragon, that's what I used.

One thing I really like about this cookbook is that she suggests side dishes for her entrees (sometimes I run across a really great entree recipe, but I have no idea what I might serve with it). So, one side dish for the chicken was "Roasted Lemon Potatoes." I will share the recipe with you, but I gotta tell you, a staple in our house is Roasted Red Potatoes using my very own made-up recipe. Jim even said he preferred my potatoes, although Sara's were just fine. So here are the recipes. I served steamed cauliflower/broccoli with the chicken and potatoes.

CHICKEN TARRAGON (Serves 4)

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, about 6 ounces each
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
3 Tbsp EVOO
2 shallots, minced
2 tsp dried tarragon (2 Tbsp fresh tarragon)
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup cream or half-and-half
1 cup chicken broth

Sprinkle a small amount of water on a large sheet of plastic wrap. Place 2 of the breast halves on top of the plastic and sprinkle again with wter. Cover with another sheet of plastic wrap and pound with a rolling pin or mallet until about 1/4" thick. Repeat with remaining 2 breast halves.

Mix the flour with S&P in a shallow pie plate. Heat half the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until almost smoking. Working in 2 batches, place half the chicken in the flour mixture and turn to coat on all sides. Shake off the excess flour and add to the skillet.. Cook until browned and cooked through 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate or platter and cover loosely with foil. Repeat with oil and chicken.

Add the shallots, tarragon, and wine to the skillet. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring to pick up any browned bits in the bottom of the pan. Boil until the liquid has reduced to 1 Tbsp. Pour in the cream, bring back to a boil, and boil until reduced by half. Pour in the broth, reduce the heat to medium-high, and simmer for 3 minutes. Season with S&P, reduce the heat to medium, and return the chicken to the skillet. Simmer, turning the chicken often, until warmed through and the sauce is thickened, about 2 minutes. Spoon some of the sauce over each piece of chicken and serve at once.

ROASTED LEMON POTATOES (serves 4)

2 pounds white boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4" cubes, or small red potatoes, halved or quartered if large
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
3 Tbsp chopped fresh parlsey
1/4 cup EVOO
S&P to taste

Place potatoes in a large pot. Pour in enough salted cold water to cover by 2". Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with the lemon juice and let sit for 15 minutes.

Preheat over to 450. Add the oregano, parsley, olive oil, S&P to potatoes and toss. Transfer to shallow baking sheet (I use a jelly-roll pan, covered with foil, and sprayed with cooking spray for VERY easy clean-up) and roast, stirring occassionally, until golden, about 1/2 an hour or so.

KAY'S ROASTED RED POTATOES

I ALWAYS use Red Potatoes. Depending on their size, I cut them into cubes, about 3/4". Then I drizzle olive oil over them and then sprinkle "Durkee Ethnic Creations...Ancho Chile" seasoning over them. I used to use something called "Sante Fe" seasoning (I think it might have been a McCormick blend, but haven't run across it in years) plus I use Montreal Seasoning. Basically these seasonings use chilies, cumin, garlic, onions. I can't get the Durkee seasoning here, but I always have to buy it on-line. I usually buy about ten 2.25 ounce jars at a time. I use it in so much, 3-bean salad, chili, anything that needs some of that cumin-kick.

No comments:

Post a Comment